In the past, astigmatism was an eye problem that could not be fully corrected with contact lenses. Now, mild astigmatism can be adequately improved with soft contact lenses, but there weren’t options for more severe cases. Wearing eye contact lenses to cure astigmatism has some benefits.
1. Easier to wear. Wearing a contact lens can be much easier to wear than such a high powered pair of glasses. More commonly an intraocular lens (IOL) is implanted following cataract surgery. Wear them alone, or incorporate them into your Halloween costume. They will add an interesting effect that most people haven’t seen before, and it will catch them off guard.
2. Monovision option. Monovision means one eye is fitted with a distance lens and the other eye with a reading lens. This has a success rate of 70-80%; it works well for many people but not for everyone.
Of course, they also come with some disadvantages as compared with wearing a pair of glasses.
1. Risk of infection or other eye problems. With contacts, if you’re responsible enough to make sure you clean them properly every day, your astigmatism has a higher chance to be corrected. Store them safely at night, and ensure that your eyes can “breathe” well enough.
2. Discomfort. Soft contact lenses are designed with the comfort of the wearer comfort as the primary concern. Sometimes, however, contact lenses can be very uncomfortable. Soft contact lenses without difficulty soak up pollutants like lotion or soap from the hands, which can cause discomfort to the eyes. You still need to remove the uncomfortable contact lens from your eye and clean it with contact lens solution. Removing them is no big deal. Just make sure they are not dry, pinch them out and that is that.
3. Unnatural colored contacts. Colored contacts are perfect for use if you only want to strengthen the eye color you already have. However, sometimes, they don’t match your eye color, and the result is the unnatural color that you get. In addition to that, a lens that is not tight enough will wander off the iris special color contacts made for sheer fun range from cats.
Astigmatism causes objects that are close or at a distance to appear blurry or double. Most people have some degree of astigmatism, which often occurs in combination with nearsightedness or farsightedness. Astigmatism is a condition of the eye where vision is affected by an irregularly shaped cornea. People with this shape to the cornea may also have Myopia or Hyperopia. So, pick your choice. Glasses or contact lenses?
Dharmendra Zala is the webmaster of eye contact lenses website providing tips and advice on contact lenses, astigmatism and more.